Friday, March 21, 2008

American Legion Francis O'Laughlin post No. 614 (Part 1)

On February 17th, I wrote about my maternal grandmother’s eldest brother—Frank O’Laughlin, who died while serving in World War I. He was a Private, in Company D, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division.

Recently, through the Fulton Post Cards web site, I came across a fascinating news article. The following was in the Buffalo Express, Saturday morning, November 8th, 1919:

FIREMEN’S LEGION POST
~
War veterans of department form a branch of organization.
~
Members of the Buffalo fire department who served during the war have formed the Francis A. O'Laughlin post No. 614 of the American Legion. The post is named after the only member of the fire department who lost his life in battle. Francis O'Laughlin was attached to engine No. 10. The charter of post No. 614 was delivered yesterday afternoon by Acting Vice Commander Edward J. Lenahan of hook and ladder No. 8. A committee has been appointed to attend a meeting to be held this evening at the 65th regiment armory.
It is also planned to hold a local meeting of the Francis O'Laughlin post very soon, when it is expected that a big campaign will finally get all the service man of the department in this branch of the legion.

A Legion post named after my great-uncle?!? Fascinating! Odd that I had never heard this via the family grapevine though.

I scoured the Internet for more information; but I found nothing. I suppose the plans may have fallen through. Still, I am surprised that I could not find anything. My curiosity piqued, I have reached out to the Buffalo Fire Historical Society and the Legion's NY Historian.

Stay tuned for further details…

No comments: