Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Une Petite Réunion de Famille

My previous posts were all historical.  However,  today’s brief entry is a 21st century update—regarding a small reunion.

But, first, a little background…

As previously noted, my 2nd great-grandfather, John B. Watts (birth name Jean Baptiste Vauthrin) was the last of my direct ancestors born in France.   His younger brother, Joseph, was the first in the family born in the USA. 

After the loss of both parents and being temporarily separated by war, they permanently parted, when Joseph moved to California in the late 1860s.  I assume that they never saw each other again.
 
I have no idea what sort of relationship Joseph and John had.  I imagine, though, that they had a quiet shared respect.  But, I only speculate.   Based on the few artifacts I have found, they both lived upstanding, productive, lives.   Though separate.

Meanwhile, back in the 21st century…   

Yesterday, my brother and I had the honor and pleasure to finally meet one of Joseph’s descendants.   (My 2rd cousin, once removed;  I think.)  It was if we had known each other our whole lives.  I am happy to see that the long “lost” western branch of the family appears to be doing just fine. 


And, I trust that the brothers, John B and Joseph, are satisfied with us all. 

No comments: